Adoption And Name Change

Micheli, Baldwin, Mortimer, McLendon & Whitacre LLP Attorneys At LawAdoption And Name Change
Micheli, Baldwin, Mortimer, McLendon & Whitacre LLP Attorneys At Law
Adoption And Name Change

Adoption And Name Change Services

Change a Life with an Adoption

One of the most rewarding jobs a lawyer can do is to help a family with an adoption. Adoption is more than a process, it’s a life changing venture. At our firm, the mission of our adoption services is to make the process as smooth as possible and to be a part of this momentous endeavor.

Prospective adoptive parents open their hearts and homes to such children – providing them with the safety and security they may not otherwise have.

If you are looking for experienced private adoption attorney, we have the knowledge and resources to give you the best adoption experience possible. We offer legal adoption services including:

  • Private
  • Stepparent
  • Inter-State
  • Foster Parent
  • International
  • Grandparent
  • Single Parent

Get Your Name Changed Quickly and Affordably

There are numerous reasons why an individual may want to change their name. The most common reasons tend to be divorce, which, leads a woman to take back her maiden name, or a stepfather’s adoption of his step-children results in the minors’ names being changed. While changing your legal name is not complicated, it takes attention to detail, as well as precise compliance with Ohio statutes and a court appearance.

The Process

The process includes some steps that may surprise you, it includes a court appearance, an application and publishing your change in the newspaper. In order to give notice to the community, the application to change your name must be published in a newspaper at least 30 days prior to your court hearing. The notice itself must identify the court where the application for the name change was filed, along with the case number and the date and time of the hearing. The application for a name change is filed in the Probate Court and must state:

  • That the applicant has been a resident of the county for at least one year prior to applying for the name change
  • The reason the change of name is being sought
  • The requested new name

Potential Barriers

 Some criminal and juvenile offenses bar a name change, and in cases where a name change is sought due to a threat of physical harm, the court may seal the records of the name change. If either of these situations applies to you, then you should consult with our confidential and respected family law attorneys about solutions that we can craft for you.

When a name change is sought for a minor child, the petition must also be accompanied by the written consent of both living and legal parents. If a parent does not consent to the requested name change, then notice of the hearing must be given to that parent via certified mail with a return receipt. If a non-consenting parent cannot be located or identified, then publication of the petition in the newspaper suffices as legal notice to that parent.

A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate must also be filed with the petition for the child’s name change.

Contact us now for your Adoption and Name Changing Needs

Contact us by phone at 740-454-2545 or email

Schedule a Free Consultation

We offer immediate legal help for those in need. Contact our team today for your legal needs and we setup a time to review your request.

Schedule Consultation